Happiest Baby is a mission-driven company helping parents raise healthy, happy children, and saving lives. We make SNOO, the world’s first smart sleeper and the safest baby bed ever made—proven to add 1-2 hours of sleep per night—and develop landmark products, content, and services.
Our CEO is the renowned pediatrician, Dr. Harvey Karp, author of the best-selling parenting guide, “The Happiest Baby on the Block.” SNOO was built with a team of MIT engineers and celebrated designers. It is the most awarded baby product in history and has been exhibited in 5 of the world’s top art museums (e.g. SF MOMA, London Design Museum).
- Indirect Tax
- Manage the Indirect Tax Function, including the review and filing of all sales & use, GST/VAT, foreign withholding, and property tax returns and their defense on audit.
- Prepare, review, and reconcile sales & use and GST/VAT accruals.
- Manage communication and correspondence with external consultants
- Work with IT and Accounting to create reports to reduce data manipulation time for compliance and audit
- Minimize state income tax risk exposure and identify potential opportunities.
- Proactively monitor and provide support with research related to ongoing indirect tax issues and law changes to ensure that appropriate planning, compliance, and reporting actions are undertaken
- Proactively engage with other departments to help resolve tax issues and drive the business objectives forward
- Assist the Tax team with tax planning, tax audits, preparing reserve analysis and other projects/duties as assigned
- Selection and implementation of a sales and use tax software platform to meet the growing needs of the organization.
- Special projects as required or as needed.
- Income Tax
- Compiling quarterly and year-end tax provision calculations and related footnote disclosures. Computes the current/deferred split of the tax provision, quarterly projections of balance sheet tax subsidiaries
- Determines periodic estimates of effective tax rate
- Application of accounting changes, current and proposed tax statutes and regulations as they relate to tax provisions/deferred tax issues, to provide, where possible, a reduction or deferral in corporate tax liability
- Keeps abreast of current tax developments through various tax services, attendance at seminars, etc
- Assist in the preparation of analyses, reports and other accumulations of data for presentation to Management
- Participate in IRS audit including preparation of audit documentation and assistance in providing information requested to auditors
- Performs special tax projects and/or other responsibilities as assigned
- Oversees the preparation of Federal and State Income Tax Returns with outside CPA firm
- Responsible to communication with tax authorities in all areas of taxation, and developing a plan to address issues as they arise
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience, Knowledge, & Skills You Bring:
- 3-5 years of relevant accounting and tax experience
- Public accounting experience desired
- Understanding of GAAP financial accounting
- Ability to develop systems and work with highly detailed information while maintaining a clear perspective of the overall issues to be managed
- What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Passionate about a purpose-driven career
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to take ownership of the tax process and think strategically
- Excellent analytical and written and oral communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a strong team player
- Ability to interface with all levels of management
Education & Certification
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree in Taxation or Accounting and/or CPA license a plus
- Ability to sit and use the computer for extended periods of time; ability to answer phones and use a variety of office equipment; ability to lift 15 pounds and reach overhead.
- Occasional travel may be required
- Competitive health/dental/eyecare plan
- 401(k) plan
- Daily catered lunches
- Take-what-you-need vacation
- Dog-friendly environment
- Indoor-outdoor workspace
- Working with a great team that is literally saving babies’ lives